Five confidential locations
We have five refuges located around Queensland for use by women and their children who are unable to stay at home because of domestic or family violence. Our refuges are safe places and we offer individualised support plans to empower you and your children to lead a life free of violence.
When staying at one of our refuges, you will be asked to contribute towards your accommodation based on your income. Your weekly charge includes:
- Temporary accommodation – mostly private but in some cases shared
- Working with support workers to plan, make positive changes and achieve your goals
- Access to workshops on various life skills including social and emotional health, budgeting, and parenting
- Referrals and support for services such as counselling, health, legal, and immigration services
- Support to find and access schools for your children, and other child-related services
- Referrals and support specifically for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) families
- Support for you to find permanent housing
- Information on safety planning
This service is available to you if you’re experiencing domestic or family violence and need crisis accommodation. To access our refuge service, call DV Connect on 1800 811 811.
What to bring
If you are safely able to plan ahead, collect as many personal identification and legal documents as you can. This includes:
- Driver Licence
- Passports, visas and work permits
- Centrelink details
- Birth certificates for the whole family
- Credit cards and bank information
- Mortgage or rental information
- Insurance documents
- Car registration documents
- School and medical records
- Medication and prescriptions
- Current unpaid bills
- Your address book, diary and keys to house, office and car
We also recommend you bring personal items such as:
- Your children’s favourite toys
- Photographs or small items of sentimental value.
Our refuges are fully furnished and you will not need any furniture or other household items. Unfortunately we are unable to take pets, however you can access the RSPCA Queensland’s Pets in Crisis program through DV Connect on 1800 811 811.
Call DV Connect 1800 811 811